Jon McTaggart, who has succeeded Bill Kling as CEO of the American Public Radio Group (American Public Media, Minnesota Public Radio, KPCC, et al.), gave a terrific speech this morning at the Public Media Marketing and Development Conference – a mostly radio group. Some excerpts that are as good for public television television as for public radio radio:
If what we do is essential, resources will follow.
Questions we're asking at MPR as part of our strategic planning:
- Is our community directly informing the services we provide?
- Is the whole community involved with our station?
- Are we providing something uniquely and distinctly valuable to our community?
- What other organizations have a vested interest in the success of our station?
- What do we do that has the whole community talking?